Understanding Genuine Leather Handles
The pattern is natural and inconsistent and may have some scratches.
1. Cowhide Underside The underside of cowhide in their natural state is flaky and rough.
2. Underside Sanding
Sanding the underside removes all flakes and make it smooth.
3. Synthetic Inner Side
On some models, the synthetic leather is patched inside to prevent the leather from stretching.
- Bullhide: made from bulls 3 years and older
- Steerhide: made from bulls 2 years and older, it is usually thicker and pores are rough
- cowhide: made from cow or heifer 2 years and older, this is used for full grain leather.
- Kipskin: made from cattle 6 months to 2 years old
- Gallskin: made from cattle 6 months old. Unfit for leather products.
Genuine leather color naturally changes over time for a more stylish look.